Amorphophallus bulbifer

  • Subject: Amorphophallus bulbifer
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" <petra@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:40:27 -0500 (CDT)

We have an inflorescense of Amorph. bulbifer with the spathe about 14"
high - huge - and the odor this a.m. is sour and strong.  Since the spathe
is not quite fully open, I used my fingers to pollinate the pistillate
flowers and in reaching down into that huge spathe, the heat sink was
unbelievable.  Here I was, stroking this huge spadix with my fingers,
feeling its heat...all in the name of science, of course.
Petra

Petra Schmidt
Research/Special Projects
Plant Delights Nursery