Re: Line breeding vs hybridization

  • Subject: Re: Line breeding vs hybridization
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:20:54 -0500 (CDT)

Ron, It is rare that I have read such furious defense of the keeping of
"pure" species and such an aversion to hybridization. I personally am a
species collector because I enjoy the beauty of what I am attracted to. But,
beyond the taxonomists' obvious frustration with hybridizers, I see no
reason to viscously attack those who wish to hybridize. Your point of view
seems to exclude and put "outside of Nature" humans. I can think of no
scenario that excludes humans from nature. We and what we do are intricatly
and inextricably a part of Nature. NO matter how "obscene" you think people

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like Anthurium but find Spaths
rather banal. I find Amorph. and Dracontium beautiful but know that the
population at large would find them ugly. The plants  we enjoy are enjoyed
because of a VISUAL beauty we find in them.

I have heard many  taxonomists , who mostly deal with "ornamental" or
collector species (particularly aroids, bromeliads, orchids, etc.), that
speak of the particular "beauty" over this or that species. In ornamentals
people hybridize to try to find more "beauty" in what they grow. This is
there opinion. It is no less valid than yours. To belittle and accuse people
of doing some sort of irreparable harm is unfair and very narrow in vision.

The big bang brought us in and a singularity may take us out.......so enjoy
......and let others enjoy.

Maybe you all are just kidding