Re: Amorpho titanum crosses!!!

  • Subject: Re: Amorpho titanum crosses!!!
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:07:27 -0500 (CDT)

Anthurium Jungle King is not even a cultivar name, it is a trade designation
of  Anthurium ellipticum 'Antadalo'. But leaving that aside, I see that some
of you don't realise that a clonally propagaged narrow aspect of the
variation of a species IS a proper cultivar! It has always been like that:
you can also pick a nice white coloured variant from an otherwise red
flowering species in nature, propagate it clonally, see to it that it
follows the DUS norm (Distinction, Uniformity and Stability) and there you
have a perfect cultivar. The point is that in your mind you'd have to cross
the (grey) barrier between nature and society as soon as you pick a plant
from the wild and deliberately it under artificial circumstances in order to
stabilise some or all of its characters.