Re: Amorpho titanum crosses!!!

  • Subject: Re: Amorpho titanum crosses!!!
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter@worldonline.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 00:15:00 -0500 (CDT)

> Eh?
> Lord P! (Do you really have that power?)

Yes, I P like a lord.......

> Please accept my apologies if I offend you. I promise to keep my dirty
> hybridizer fingers away from your virginal stands of Amorphophallus's.

Nono, no offense at all. I LOVE all this.

> Future generations of cultivated Amorpho titanum will mature faster, grow
> more quickly and more evenly, and be more amenable to artificial cultural
> conditions and less specialized to a narrow ecological niche than wild
ones
> just because of artificial selection.

Indeed but know the consequence that they are NOT Amorphophallus titanum "of
wild lore" anymore!! So we are NOT conserving biodiversity this way. It's
all o.k. as long as people accept the consequences and do not fool around
SUGGESTING they are doing Nature a favour.  They are doing Mankind a favour!
Which is o.k. with me. And as much as Mankind may be seen as part of Nature,
we may not extend evolutionary theory to what happens in cultivation. So the
question is if what WE do with our hands may be named, identified with
terminology akin to objects of nature (like species).

 The ones that bloom first and get
> their seeds distributed among aficionados may not resemble ones that bide
> their time and bloom at a larger size. Indeed, after several generations
of
> this we may have titanum seed to flowering time significantly reduced by
> this process of selection.
> If it really bothers you, don't open my messages.
> BTW nice tubers you sent me. They're sprouting. I promise I won't mess
with
> your children.

You just go ahead, but don't be surprised when they turn against you one
("rotting") day

The Mad Lord