Fw: Line breeding vs hybridization corn/maize.

  • Subject: Fw: Line breeding vs hybridization corn/maize.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:37:07 -0500 (CDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: StellrJ@aol.com <StellrJ@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Sunday, June 24, 2001 1:30 AM
Subject: Re: Line breeding vs hybridization

Dear Friends,

I do not believe the reference to 'maize corn' (below) being only able to
reproduce with man`s assistance to be correct---in the wild, both the more
primitive ('wild') forms as well as the more 'advanced' (improved) forms of
maize/corn can and are 'planted' by the activities of wild animals, who
'open' the enclosing modified leaves to get at the seed/kernels contained
within, and a certain small percentage of these are dislodged by them to
fall and germinate, thus carrying on the plants lineage, as it was with the
original 'design'.   Some dry seeds/kernels may have also passed through the
digestive tract of the large ancient (now extinct) herbivores to 'emerge'
and germinate in the now-readly available manure, as they still sometimes do
today with horses,  deer and even sometimes cattle, whose chewing of their
cud may make this more unlikely.

Julius Boos