Re: Fw: Line breeding vs hybridization corn/maize.

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Line breeding vs hybridization corn/maize.
  • From: Lewandjim@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:44:27 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated 6/24/2001 8:37:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

<< I do not believe the reference to 'maize corn' (below) being only able to
 reproduce with man`s assistance to be correct---in the wild, both the more
 primitive ('wild') forms as well as the more 'advanced' (improved) forms of
 maize/corn can and are 'planted' by the activities of wild animals, who
 'open' the enclosing modified leaves to get at the seed/kernels contained
 within, and a certain small percentage of these are dislodged by them to
 fall and germinate, thus carrying on the plants lineage, as it was with the
 original 'design'.   >>

I think you are correct that maize can be disseminated by natural means but
to my knowledge maize has not been recognized as a natural species for nearly
half a century. When I was in college Dr. Charles Heiser was one of the
researchers. I remember his economic botany lectures going into great detail
into the bigeneric origin of maize - apparently created and nurtured into its
final form by Indians of southern Mexico and Central America.

    Jim Langhammer