Re: Line breeding vs hybridization

  • Subject: Re: Line breeding vs hybridization
  • From: Lewandjim@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:43:34 -0500 (CDT)

In a message dated 6/24/2001 8:36:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
edggon@hotmail.com writes:

<< Dear Jim,

     Now you put my brain in complete confusion. We must remember that the
 link between cultivated and wild species is too narrow.  >>

Hey Eduardo,

You misinterpret what I said. Linnaeus in his early taxonomic efforts treated
some domestic hybrids as "species" - the dog is NOT a species but a hybrid of
a mishmash of wolf subspecies plus ??? (who knows what)! It should not be
given a binomial epithet under international rules.

Even today many long named plant "species" are being recognized as
"non-species" of domestic or perhaps even naturally-occurring hybrids. The
best treatment of this subject that I know is given in Schmid's THE GENUS
HOSTA.

    Jim Langhammer