Re: aroids (?) in the news !

  • Subject: Re: aroids (?) in the news !
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 20:28:03 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 10:18 PM
Subject: aroids (?) in the news !

This reminds me of a GREAT George Carlin act on TV this AM, where George is commenting on all the sometimes-stupid 'safeguards' we are subjected to by the government agencies---he comments-- ' What ever happened to 'survival of the fittest, thinning of the herd???   The stupid kid who swallowed too many glass marbles did not grow up to father even MORE stupid kids!"   Sad but true.    I mean, we can not even teach our kids to eat gel candy???   Wow!
I don`t only smell my aroids, Derek, I cook and then eat the hell out of several genera!!
(Note that I specified 'cook first'--- I KNOW that there is someone out there who may have survived the eating of the glass marbles, but who will NOT survive chewing into a raw Xanthosoma or Colocasia !!)
>>The Florida Agriculture Commissioner has banned the sale of a gel candy containing "conjac"  The gel is said not to dissolve at body temperatures and thus presents a hazard to children who swallow it whole.
Is this one of the starches from an amorphophallus? Or perhaps a more generic name in the Pacific for something from an underground storage organ?
Anyway, the obvious behaviour pattern for us should be to enjoy the olfactory delights of our plants, but to avoid sucking on bits of them. Derek