Re: Making bulbils?

  • Subject: Re: Making bulbils?
  • From: "Randall M. Story" <story@caltech.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 01:02:26 -0500 (CDT)

Marc,

You're probably right about that.

However, at least some leaf cells must retain the ability to (eventually)
form all the tissues of an Amorphophallus--leaf, petiole, tuber, roots, etc.
since some of these plants can be propagated by leaf cuttings.  That is,
there must be at least some cells present in leaves that are capable of
de-differentiating and forming "stem cells" capable of regenerating all cell
types.  Or perhaps stem cells are still present in the leaves? (someone help
me on this...)

I suppose the question boils down to exactly what the various sorts of
bulbils actually are.  Is it a sort of specialized tissue(s) or structure
that can only be formed by certain species that possess particular gene(s),
or is it something common to all of these guys?  If the former, then it's
probably unlikely it can be produced in other species.  If the latter, then
conceivably bulbil or bulbil-like tissue could be generally produced.
Anyone out there know ?

Randy