Re: Making bulbils?

  • Subject: Re: Making bulbils?
  • From: "brian williams" <pugturd50@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 01:04:28 -0500 (CDT)

I have chopped a few bulb up and placed in a humid place and have had bulbs
form from each chunk of bulb. I have also had a few forms that don't usually
set off bulb that I have cut not all the way but cut a mark into and placed
fungicide. This mark or scare I have found will make some species split in
two. I have not made any true experiments up just me messing trying new

Has anyone else tried anything like this?

Just to add in on this message. I have been growing for a few years and have
found that their are manly two ways for me to grow Amorphophallus well here
in Kentucky. I have one bed made in the greenhouse with normal river bottom
dirt. Kinda like the stuff used in a garden the normal brown farm dirt. All
the amorphos and Dracontiums love that.
But for pots. I find I use metro mix 360 with a common mix of powdered
spaghnum moss and perlite. Half a bag of metro mix to every bag of the
spaghnum moss. This works very well on the amorphos as well as Philo

I have seen some florida friends growing them in just about everything from
mulch to pine nuggets. But after all the experiments here. This works best.
A have not had a rot problem sense. THANKS Hope this info helps a few out.