Re: Titanum leaf cuttings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Subject: Re: Titanum leaf cuttings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • From: StroWi@t-online.de (StroWi)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 22:35:46 -0500 (CDT)

this sounds very exiting.

When your friend says he got the cuttings started, it will be of course important to see, if he gets just rooted leaf pieces. This is known from other plants as well and the rooted leafs can survive quite a while. For such a cutting it will be important that it is able to differentiate a new shoot meristem and for tuberous plants at least this must lead to a tuber formation as well.
The propagation with small leaf pieces works very well with Rex-Begonias.

>From some former mails from Lord P. I understood that "leaf" cuttings from A.titanum are not just pieces of the lamina or leaf blade, but rather parts of the leaf including (a part of) the petiole and maybe parts of the tuber as well, where some dormant meristems might be present.

I would be very glad, if some aroider would have some pictures of this old fashioned method of leaf cuttings in A. titanum.

>From your description your friend's method seems to be something different. If it would work, that would be great of course!

Your notes also reminds me of the recent discussion on bulbil formation in Amorphophallus species that don't do this normally.
In Phalenopsis orchids it is possible to stimulate dormant nodes of flower stalks to form new shoots instead of a new flower stalk, what they do normally. The method is applying a paste containing a cytokinin-hormone, normally 6-BAP (6-benzylaminopurine), to the node of the flower stalk.

I wonder if something similar like this has been done in any Amorphophallus species, e.g. applying such a hormone containing paste to the junktion of leaf veins or ribs.

Looking forward to any comment!

Good growing,

Dollbergen, Germany
approx. zone 6/7