hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

amorph leaf cuttings/tc

  • Subject: amorph leaf cuttings/tc
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@arachne.uark.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:49:26 -0500 (CDT)

Petra, I think you, Kathy Upton, and I had some discussion of amorph leaf
cuttings as far back as the early 90's!

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Petra Schmidt wrote:

> I've done the leaf cuttings with newly emerged leaf material and with older,
> end of the season leaf material and both seem to respond the same, not all
> successful but what survives will form a tuber and send up a leaf.  I've
> swapped notes with other aroiders playing around with this and there's more
> failures than successes, but I think placing cuttings under mist makes a
> positive difference (cool moisture).  I've tried a few with and without
> rooting hormones as well, no big difference seen there.  Again, I'm just
> playing with these when I can afford the time and plant material.

I still haven't tried titanum, but there are several species I routinely
propagate by leaf cuttings. Of those, I have also not seen any difference
between cuttings taken soon after leaf emergence or later, with one
exception: if I wait until the plant is near dormancy again, they don't
ever seem to take. I don't really find this surprising. But right up until
you see that characteristic very slight change in appearance that signals
oncoming dormancy, yes.

I haven't kept any records, but I'd say that across the few species I've
tried I'm getting about 60% to take.  As to what I mean by that, I take a
set of relatively small cuttings (to minimize leaf surface lost by the
donor) all at once, either from a single plant or set of clones, which all
tend to stay in synch. Having given it/them one setback, I don't take any
more during that growth cycle. So, I wind up with 3 of 5, 4 of 6, etc.

That's with no mist but relatively high (65-70%) humidity (no pun
intended). It's been a very easy and trouble free method for me - I put
them on shady shelves in the greenhouse and tend to forget about them for
weeks at a time.

This discussion has gotten me interested again. I think I'll try a few new
species tonight.


-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@arachne.uark.edu

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index