Dracontium dilemma

  • Subject: Dracontium dilemma
  • From: Durightmm@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:36:47 -0500 (CDT)

I am comfortable with the identification of my D. gigas but not with its' development.   While aware of the  natural degrees of variability among a species I cannot accont for its' erractic flowering.   Despite its age and robust growth- pedicle 8' tall- its' flower has never opened as in pictures I  have seen.   I pine for  seeing the lovely crimson color of the spathe underside.  Have opthers experienced this?  Is this  natural or is perhaps this another species?   Comments?    Joe