Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs

  • Subject: Re: Observations on growing plants in bogs
  • From: "Kathy Kempf" <wont_read101@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:45:13 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks for all your suggestions.  Unfortunately, when I planted these iris
and marsh marigolds and other things, I did not anticipate that they would
be completely unindated by the torrential downpours we had all spring.  I
potted them in a fairly well-draining potting soil mix and sank the pots
into the ground, with the surface about an inch above the surrounding soil
level.  The water level in the whole area was about 3" above that for 2
months.  I tried a few times to lift the pots out and couldn't.  They must
have weighed 80 lbs (I am crippled and unable to carry much).  When they
were noticably failing in health, I managed to get the plants out of the
pots, bareroot, and they have survived so far.

Now that the water level has fallen in that area, I have examined the soil
in my pots; no stench of "rotting" from the soil mix; but hard to tell with
all the other rotting soil surrounding it.  Lost a large number of plants
from all the unnatural spring rains.

The calla and calocadium I planted (no growth) just as the rains were
starting have thrived.  They came up much faster than expected in all that
saturated soil; the bulbs have multiplied much faster.  Could all the
rotting soil be a great fertilizer for them?  Something for me to
investigate further.