Re: [aroid-l] potting medium for Anthurium

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] potting medium for Anthurium
  • From: "Denis Rotolante" denisskg@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:01:35 -0400

As has already been said it's all a matter of adjusting the water to the
media. Orchid media will work... however only experience will teach you
what the best media will be for your environment and your water
schedule. In my nursery we pot in 60% peat and 40% perlite and we are
watering daily. Some hobbiest growers here in S. Florida use all
volcanic rocks, some peat-lite blends and some use straight sphagnum.
Most of the Bird Nest (Pachyneurium) types have thick fleshy roots like
the velamenous orchid roots and they will form their own growing medium
very quickly. Then they will out-grow their containers and push
themselves out of the pot. The flowering varieites grow a little slower
and need a bit less water.

Good luck and Happy growing