Re: [aroid-l] what does inflorescence mean?

>I think inflorescence means that on the stalk there are many  flowers- like
>the a. titanum has hundreds of tiny ones. maybe there is a big flower one to
>a stem, somewhere.
>just guessing
>Valerie

Without doing any research into the validity of the calim, I believe that
the largest single flower on a stem actually belong to the parasitic genus
Rafflesia;  Rafflesia arnoldii is the species I believe. At somewhere
approaching three feet across, it doesn't match the size of Amorphophallus,
but it is an individual flower. Largest aroid will be tough, since all
aroids (I believe) have the spadix type infloresence with lots of little
flowers.

Jonathan

Jonathan Ertelt, Greenhouse Manager
Department of Biological Sciences