Re: [aroid-l] what does inflorescence mean?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] what does inflorescence mean?
  • From: "Petra Schmidt" petra@plantdelights.com
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:08:39 -0400

Hi there...Time to buy a good book on botanical terms and my favorite is:  A
Dictionary of Botany by R. John Little and C. Eugene Jones - they define
inflorescence as:
"the arrangement of flowers on a floral axis; a floral cluster"

which means the individual flowers are clustered together on one
stalk...Amorph. titanum has the largest inflorescence in the world;
Rafflesia has the largest individual flower in the world...