Re: [aroid-l] Refrigeration of aroid pollen.

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Refrigeration of aroid pollen.
  • From: Marc Gibernau gibernau@cict.fr
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:47:17 +0200

Dear Julius,

I've prepared with Anita Diaz a manuscript for our favourite journal on
this subject on two Arum species. But It will take some times before we'll
receive the next Aroideana issue.

In Arum, to store pollen in refrigerators (8 or 15C) prolong pollen
viability up to 4-5 days. May be at cooler temperatures (3-5C) the pollen
viability will last longer. I think that water freezing will be a
(non-return) limit.

About freezing pollen, I do not know any references but I think that it
will kill the pollen (frost may destroy the cellular organs). But it must
be tested!!!!

On the aroid web site, you can read Scott Hyndman's web page on
Amorphophallus pollen stored in a refrogerator.

All the best,