Re: [aroid-l] Dieffenbachia and skin rash

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dieffenbachia and skin rash
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:57:10 +0000

From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
To: <aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu>
Subject: [aroid-l] Dieffenbachia and skin rash
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:29:29 -0400

Dear Derek,

Where did the child get the rash (what area of the body?). This can be a real nasty plant, I have an actual fatality from one bite into a stem from Trinidad, she turned out to be the sister of a friend, the one our parents used as an example as they constantly warned us of the danger of being near this plant. I gave Tom the particulars a while ago, name, age, etc. Dieff. is not to be trifiled with, that`s for sure.
Good Growing,
Julius
I have had a question about the possibility of a 2-year old child getting a
skin rash that has lasted three weeks from walking barefoot over carpet on
which a large dieffenbachia plant in a pot had sat for some years. The
carpet was steam cleaned a few weeks before the rash began (I leap to the
defense of the plant and blame the cleaner!)
I can't imagine enough sap dropping to the carpet and surviving steam
cleaning so as to present raphides to the child ...

Any comments, please. derek