[aroid-l] IAS Members Update

  • Subject: [aroid-l] IAS Members Update
  • From: <amh@ieee.org>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:45:26 -0700

Hi there folks,

Albert Huntington, here again. President of the International Aroid Society.

Those of you who are not members, or those of you who are wondering what the society does, please get over to http://www.aroid.org/ and educate/sign yourselves up.

In an attempt to improve communication with the membership, I have been writing periodic updates such as this one with information for members of the IAS regarding the status of various projects, the publications and available membership services.

** Membership numbers are down. Thanks to the hard work of Paul Resslar, our membership chair, we've trimmed a lot of non-paying members from the roster and managed to send out some reminders to people who have not renewed for this year. Paid membership in your society stands at around 250 persons and institutions. The society supports aroid research and horticulture through our publications, encourages young aroid researchers through our awards, and educates the public through our website and events. We cannot continue this work without the support of our members - your $25 not only contributes to all these causes, but also gets you newsletters, our journal, and access to additional publications on the website. Please encourage your friends to join us today so that we can better serve the aroid community. Registration is available online, and credit cards are accepted through paypal a http://www.aroid.org/

** Marcela Mora has been selected as the recipient of the 2004 Monroe Birdsey Memorial Award. The award is presented by the society to students showing excellence in the field of aroid research. Marcela has a paper in the upcoming edition of Aroideana, and will be making a presentation on her research at the Show and Sale this year.

** Layout of the "June" newsletter ( 26-2 ) is finishing up and it's scheduled to be mailed sometime next week. As always, please contact Paul Resslar or myself regarding missing publications.

** Aroideana - We are still on track with getting Aroideana out in time for the Show and Sale this year. Corrected first galleys have been sent back to the publishing house, so it's just a matter now of approving the final proofs when they come in. The deadline for articles in the next issue is set at Jan 15th 2005. Even though it seems really early, please get your article submissions in for the next edition. Derek Burch remains available to help with ghostwriting and editing if you have an idea for an article.

** Save the date! The IAS show and sale is scheduled for Miami on September 18th and 19th this year. It's a fabulous place to meet aroid people from all over the world. We are currently in the planning stages - if you have ideas, if you would like to see something changed from previous years, if you would be able to volunteer your time, NOW is the time to act.

** There is a membership directory database available in the member's area of www.aroid.org . Some members have requested a printed directory be published as well, and we still have copies available. If you would like a free copy mailed to you, please let me know by e-mail and I will send one your way.

** Nomination of board members for 2005 will begin in July. If you are interested in serving on the IAS board and having a voice in the direction of the society, please speak up now by contacting myself or the board member of your choice. We have board members from all over the world, and most board business is now down by e-mail, so your physical location should not be a factor.

Please remember - replying to this message directly will get it sent back to Aroid-L, not to me or the board member of your choice.