Re: [aroid-l] Philo. Simondsii

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Philo. Simondsii
  • From: "hanson, skip" <hanson_skip@emc.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:30:46 -0400

[hanson, skip]
Thanks for the information Julius. I bought the plant a few years ago from
Dewey Fisk. It languished
for quite awhile at first and I thought it was finished. Then one day it
started to grow and has been
doing great ever since. I have several leaves that are already 18" long. I
guess I should create a "large
trunk" for it to feel more at home. I can send you pictures if you want ?
Thanks again,
 I believe P. simondsii was described by Dr. Simon Mayo of Kew Gardens, U.K.
in an early Aroideana as occuring in Trinidad, W.I.   It was subsequently
said to be a naturally occuring hybrid betwee two other Philo. sps. native
to Trinidad, I do not recall the names of these parent species.   It should
be a medium sized climbing plant, the leaves about 18-24" long.   It grows
in nature by climbing the trunks of fairly large forest trees.  My friend
the late Dr. Monroe Birdsey had this growing at his wonderful home in Miami
and took great pride in showing me this plant native to my 'home-country'.
May I ask where you obtained your plant??

Good Luck,