Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum question

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum question
  • From: Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:29:24 +1000

>Does anyone know the absolute minimum an Amorph titanum can tolerate in
>growth and also while in dormancy?  In the wild, what sort of timing (i.e
>month of the year) do the titans have for flowering, shooting and dying down?

Howdy again All,

I had forgotten about Deni Bown's wonderful aroid book when I asked the
question.  From her book I found out a lot of information, particularly
regarding their natural growing conditions..... i.e there IS no particular
timing as the leaf grows for 12 to 18 months and then has a dormancy for no
"obvious" reason except if flowering.  Flowering can take place at any time
of year as can dormancy, so there really is no particular cycle apparently.
 All fascinating stuff!!

I would still be interested in hearing what sort of experiences those of
you who have or do grow the titan have had, particularly the absolute
minimums that your titans have experienced (and either survived or been hit
hard by).  In captivity does there end up appearing to be any sort of cycle
that develops, or is it still very much "random"?  Or alternatively, do you
impose a cycle by watering etc?  I recall that Mr Stinky and Audrey II both
flowered almost simultaneously which according to Deni's book should be
pretty uncommon, so was that done through management of the tubers to
encourage certain growth cycle's?

Thanks in anticipation of any information you can provide.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Cyclamen, Crocus,
Cyrtanthus, Oxalis, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about
anything else that doesn't move!!!!!