Re: [aroid-l] ebay - ebook fraud

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] ebay - ebook fraud
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:06:24 -0400

Reporting is crucial. I discovered that a finch breeder in France had
translated into French and laid claim to my entire web site
(www.exoticfinches.com). The web page was hosted by a French company
like a yahoo. Once the company was notified with evidence and a threat
from me to bring in the law, they wiped out his entire web page, all of
his others, and he was left without any web presence until he figures
out another way to cheat.

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> alan_galloway@ncsu.edu 06/21/04 12:58PM >>>
Peter, Denis, Steve, and others,

After seeing Peter's original posting, I checked the sites listed and
discovered that this
person was also using 2 of my photos as well.  This person never asked
and certainly did not credit me for my photos.

I notified the person Friday and again on Saturday to remove my pics.
finally emailed
me back with some rather unpleasant responses.  I'm still amazed at
reactions of
thieves when you catch them in the act!

He has since removed my pictures from his web site, as well as
the auction
of his 'ebook' which contained the pics.
He has stated that he did not sell any copies of his 'ebook', but I
have no
way of verifying
that statement.

I checked his web site, as well as his ebay profile, and he seems to
gone to rather
extreme lengths to cover up his physical location and his name.  Also
on his
profile, he goes to great lengths explaining how willing he is to
disputes.  All in
all, it appears to me that he has gone to great lengths to maintain
anonymity.  And his
idea of resolving disputes is pretty pathetic.

I would advise all affected to send email to this person, clearly
that he has
taken your images, and for him to remove them promptly.  If you plan to
a civil
law suit, this will show the judge, that you have taken a pro-active
to defend
your copyrighted material.

See Peter's original email below for the URL for Ebay.com    You'll
need to
through Ebay's site to find out where to direct your complaint for
They need
to hear from all those affected.

The guy's personal web site (also listed below in Peter's original
is actually
hosted by yahoo.com.  You'll need to notify yahoo.com that this guy is
copyright laws.  Once you have told yahoo.com, they become somewhat
for breaking the copyright law on behalf of this guy.  From what I've
takes a very dim view of its cutomers breaking copyright laws.

I'm putting together some information on copyright issues and will post
here shortly.  Hopefully this will educate some uniformed people.