Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:37:32 -0500

I am hoping that next year my konjac will bloom and I am concerned about
when this will occur. Living in Minnesota and with everything I have heard
and read I do not want this to bloom indoors.

Oh, it's not really THAT bad. It's not constant unless you're right next to the plant. The worst of the smell is over in 3 days or so and you can even put it outside as long as it is not below freezing, and by April, we may have substantial periods of above freezing weather even at night here in Milwaukee. Also, putting it in the basement or unused room would work.

Is there a time of year that konjac will not bloom before? Is there a way to
delay the bloom? If I miss this and the unexpected does happen how quickly
will the smell leave?

I store my konjacs in my basement where the temp is in the mid 50's. Some are potted, some not. If a bulb is going to bloom, it will begin to elongate a sprout by early March. Bringing it up into the relative warmth of the house will increase the rate of bloom growth, while keeping it cool would retard it.

Here is a link to a chart (which I've posted in the past) showing rate of growth of the konjac inflorescence.

The smell was most pronounced the last few days listed on the chart.

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin