Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions
  • From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:48:29 -0400

Charles:

I am anxiously watching a blooming sized Konjac tuber that has been potted up since just before the weather here in Eastern Maritime Canada warms up enough to set it outside. So far ...  nothing.

This is the same Konjac that has caused my spouse (the phrase "separate reality" was bandied around) and friends great consternation by blooming winter, fall and early spring whenever it felt like it. I have stored it dry, I have stored it cool in my veggie crisper and I have over wintered it in pots (*bad* idea if you do _not_ want growth). The thing has, in my experience, a mind of its own and will start into growth, or bloom, when it feels like it. The only thing I can do then is pot it up and watch.

I am hoping that this year It will bloom again, but outside on my deck. It has been over two months and nary a sign of a root. It has been known to sit in such conditions for several months before starting up. I wonder if, under natural conditions, it comes from a climate that will permit blooming at almost any time.

I sincerely wish you well with yours.

Rand

--
Rand Nicholson