Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. konjac questions
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:47:06 -0400

You can cut it off before it happens with no harm to the plant. If you
let it go indoors you'll have a week of really terrible odor. It
happened to me once by mistake when I had a large one in the onion
cellar. When we awoke one morning we thought a animal died in the house.
The dog was alive so we knew it was konjac. When they want to flower
they do it much earlier than the normal time the leaf emerges. For me in
Massachusetts it happened in the onion cellar in April when it was still
freezing outside.

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> chazmg1@citlink.net 06/23/04 07:52PM >>>
I am hoping that next year my konjac will bloom and I am concerned
when this will occur. Living in Minnesota and with everything I have
and read I do not want this to bloom indoors.

Is there a time of year that konjac will not bloom before? Is there a
way to
delay the bloom? If I miss this and the unexpected does happen how
will the smell leave?