[aroid-l] researching Jim Symon

  • Subject: [aroid-l] researching Jim Symon
  • From: "Sean A. O'Hara" <sean@support.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:59:54 -0700

Hi Folks -

Some of you may remember me from some years ago and I've been in and out of this community since then.

I've been researching Jim Symon who is mentioned in a book I am writing. I had the pleasure of meeting him before his trip to Sumatra and David Attenborough and also put him in better contact with many members of this community. I also received some of the A. titanum seed he distributed (which was a total surprise to me!)!

I was trying to find 2 back issue of Aroideana - no. 17 & 19, which feature an article authored by Jim and information about his untimely dead. I am having trouble finding web pages with information about how to obtain Aroideana back issues - do such pages exist? Can anyone provide me with this information? Or can I obtain photocopies from someone's personal collection? Or?

I would also be interested in other sources of biographical and/or anecdotal information about this interesting man.

Sources of information will be appropriately acknowledged.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Seán O.

h o r t u l u s   a p t u s     -    'a garden suited to its purpose'
Seán A. O'Hara   sean@support.net   www.hortulusaptus.com
1034A Virginia Street, Berkeley, California 94710-1853, U.S.A.
(ask me about the worldwide Mediterranean gardening discussion group)