Re: [Aroid-l] Leaf fertilization - A.titanum 'ghost'

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Leaf fertilization - A.titanum 'ghost'
  • From: "W. George Schmid" hostahill@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:17:57 -0400

Hi, The phenomenon of white plant tissue also occurs in other genera. In my
experience with hostas, completely white plants (as your A. titanum) may
survive one season but the lack of chlorophyll results in the hosta rhizome
(or the A. tuber) not being able to store sufficient sugars for the next
year's growth. As a consequence, the plants will decline and no longer be
viable after a season or two or three. Usually, some hostas fight this
condition and become viridescent, i.e., the leaves turn partially or all the
way green later in the season (the time frame when sugars are stored in
hostas) to make up for this lack of chlorophyll. In other cases the white
leaves collapse and rot away and are replaced with green leaves. Some of
these plants recover and live on by making the white-phase a temporary
condition. I have a variegated Acer negundo that routinely sends out
branches with all-white leaves. None of these branches has survived more
than three seasons, unless they become viridescent, which happens
occasionally. I have a large collection or amorphs and arisaemas, but have
not experienced white forms so cannot comment on these aroids in particular.
I would guess that large tubers with a large stored-up food supply may be
able to survive for a time. Judging by my experience with other genera, the
white form is either a lethal condition or will not survive in the long run.
It would be interesting to see if this plant has enough food reserves to
make an inflorescence. HTH, George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL