Re: [Aroid-l] A.hewittii toppled over

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] A.hewittii toppled over
  • From: Dan Levin levin@pixar.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:30:33 -0700

Dear Peter,

I would caution you to carefully remove your plant from its pot and
inspect for signs of rot/ deterioration of the roots and/or tuber. Most
typically, the toppling over of an Amorpho. petiole is indicative of an
after-the-fact "sour" media and/or drainage problem. If indeed this is
determined to be the case, hopefully you'll (still) have an intact tuber
which you can attempt to save... waste no time checking!

Said tuber should be rinsed well in warm water, carefully inspected- all
soft/ mealy parts cut out; then dusted with a fungicide (I've personally had
good success with 3336WP, thiophanate methyl, effective against fusarium);
after which UNDER-pot into fresh compost. Take care to keep just slightly
damp until well after new growth reinitiates. Then and only then should
you restart your regular watering regimen. Constant bottom heat will help
greatly during such convalescent periods.

Best of luck,
-Dan

p/s- en garde! your other Am. hewitti's may not be far behind...