RE: [Aroid-l] Searching for Philodendron saxicolum and P. leal-costae

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Searching for Philodendron saxicolum and P. leal-costae
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:49:48 +0000

From : 	<Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
Sent : Monday, June 27, 2005 11:27 PM
To : aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
CC : size123@earthlink.net

Dear Tom and Friends,

You may remember that just a few months ago I started a quest to locate any P. saxicolum that might be in collections in the USA. The final determination was that there were but TWO plants within the continental USA. I owned one, the second is owned by Harry Luther at Selby Bot. Garden. Mine expired soon afterward from a 'sudden' bacterial rot.
Concerning the seeds that were sold as being P. saxicolum from a Co. in Brazil, I was one of the people that instituted buying seed from S.A. After much asking and discussion on this list (and examination of photos kindly sent in by members of their plants), ALL proved to be P. cf. bipinnatifidium, including a plant at MOBOT labled as P. saxicolum originating from that seed shipment, NONE as far as we could determine were P. saxicolum.
Concerning P. leal-costae, I do NOT believe seed of this Bromiliad-growing species have ever been offered. You may recall a LONG discussion on this L on the possible methods of seed dispersal in this amazing species. There are none in cultivation in the USA, and last I heard from Eduardo, none in Bot. Gdns in Brazil, it is NOT an easy plant to keep alive because of its very specialized habitat.
I write this as a caution to Greg and others to CAREFULLY check the plants offered as being P. saxicolum, especially those grown from seed imported from Brazil, I did so, and ALL turned out to be P. cf. bipinnatifidium. I`d HATE a mislebled plant to be used in any scientific experiment!
I continue my quest for another P. saxicolum!
I too would be MOST interested in any information other that what I have shared above, concerning the locations of any of these smaller species of arborescent Philo. species.

Julius

Dear Aroiders:
Greg Hanbali at the Bogor Botanical Garden in Indonesia is a friend of mine and he is interested in two species Philodendron saxicolum and P. leal-costae to continue some breeding studies that he is carrying out on Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma. I know that some of you have received seeds from Seidel in Brazil and many have obtained one or both of these species in those shipments. If any of you have these species and could offer them to Greg I would appreciate it. Greg does not personally have e-mail so if you have any ideas please contact our mutual friend and fellow aroider Mary Sizemore at size123@earthlink.net Mary is in frequent contact with Greg and can pass any positive leads on to Greg.

Best wishes to all

Tom<<