Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum and P. bipinnatifidum?

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum and P. bipinnatifidum?
  • From: "Russ" chammer@cfl.rr.com
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:48:57 -0400

My recollection of P. stenolobum from  the IAS show at Fairchild last Sept
is that all lobes on the leaf are
extremely narrow and long, and is not the philodendron in this picture.
There was some controversy between
what I believe is now known as stenolobum and another  plant then called
williamsii.  P. williamsii, at that time was described as having a leaf much
wider in all parts, tips of all lobes were more blunt, and was considered
the species, while the plant now called stenolobum was thought to be a
hybrid of some kind.

Seems like last year or so someone straightened all this out, with the
magnificently regal narrow leaved plant
being identified as the species stenolobum, and I guess the less attractive
plant is still williamsii.

Someone help me with this.   There were some great photos of the large
stenolobum that won a first in the
Fairchild show, but I couldn't find them at IAS site.

So, based on what I remember, my impression of the plant in the photo is
that it looks more like williamsii than stenolobum.

Aroid-l mailing list