[Aroid-l] recent Amorphophallus blooms

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] recent Amorphophallus blooms
  • From: "C. J. Addington" <cjaddington@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:10:55 -0700

Hello aroiders!
    I hope everyone had a great Father's Day weekend and a good new week.

    I know many of the more common Amorphophallus blooms are old hat for
many people here, but I am still quite entranced when a plant I have been
caring for chooses to pop up a bloom ( or two! ). This month I have had a
very nice, and very large, A. bulbifer bloom in the greenhouse. It was truly
pretty ( for a corpse flower! ) and the odor was brief and short lived.
Right now I have some A. verticillatus in bloom - 4 blooms all at once, and
two emerging from the same single large corm. I have not seen that before,
and it's very neat to see. All four blooms are from the same genetic clone,
so I do not know if they are able to pollinate one another well, but I'll
keep an eye on it and see. I was especially impressed by just how phototaxic
the A. verticillatus blooms are - they leaned dramatically toward the
brightest corner of the greenhouse.

    If anyone would like to see pictures of my bloom, I have uploaded them
to my Flickr page, which can be reached by clicking this link:

    Have a great week everyone!
C.J. Addington
Central Valley of California

Aroid-l mailing list