Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium veitchii types

From : 	Windy Aubrey <exotics@hawaii.rr.com>
Sent : 	Tuesday, June 26, 2007 9:05 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Anthurium veitchii types

Attachment : DSCN3746.jpg (0.07 MB), DSCN5658.jpg (0.05 MB), DSCN5919.jpg (0.06 MB), DSCN6024.jpg (0.07 MB), DSCN6114.jpg (0.04 MB), DSCN6525.jpg (0.08 MB)

Dear Windy,

First off, thank you for sharing the great photos of your beautiful plants with all of us on aroid-l, they are true treasures, all of them!
Now to my opinion, and it is only an opinion!
I think that you can atribute the differences in the two forms of your A. veitchii to what I have begun calling ''collectors choice syndrome". This occurs when a collector goes into the field, and finds a large population of a certain beautiful plant. Human nature DEMANDS that he choose THE most attractive (to her/him) specimens and bring them back to cultivation. The 'dogs' of this particular species he has located remain in the field, and so only 'beautiful' plants of this species become established in cultivation!. Another thing that happens is that in a widely distributed species, he/she may come across populations located a great distance from each other, they may be quite different superficailly to each other, such as your two forms of A. veitchii, different, but both are beautiful examples of this species and within the range of variation for that species. Recently I was shown a 'compact' form of a Philo. species, that particular grower/owner thought it much more attractive to the more 'common' form. In time, a plant or animal is selectivly bred until it really does not resemble its 'wild' form.
Off my soap box now!
I HOPE this helps!

Julius

I was wondering about these two very different types of A. veitchii that I have been growing for a while.
One form is the more typical one I had seen around for years, with wide folds and pleats in the 3 ' long thick blade. The other form has much tighter pleats, a much, much longer and thinner in width and textured blade. Also this different than normal form has a spandex that turns pink. The more typical form's spadix turns greenish.
Would these two forms both be considered the same species?
If anyone has an opinion I would really be interested in it. This has had me sort of baffled as to what would be the correct label to put on it.
Thanks,
Windy<<