Re: [Aroid-l] list protocol

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, john s smolowe wrote:

> 2) to the list manager: is it possible not to list our email addresses
> with the posts? i am happy to give any aroid-l member my email
> address, but i do not want to give my email address to the spammers
> who harvest addresses from forums.

Only Aroid-L subscribers get our posts, and only subscribers can access
the new list archive we've started on the Gizmoworks server (although the
Hort.net archive of Aroid-L is public!). But I'm not aware of any list
software that hides the sender's address from the other members of the
list, and I'm on an awful lot of lists.

(That would make it impossible for someone to reply privately to you when
you post to the list, and it would hose a lot of the e-mail filters people

For someone to harvest your address from Aroid-L, they'd have to subscribe
to the list themselves to get the posts (and we require confirmation for
all subscribtion requests, which is usually pretty effective at weeding
out address trollers), harvest them from the Hort.net archive, or get them
from the computer of someone else who is already subscribed to Aroid-L.
None of those seem to be happening a lot with Aroid-L, based on the spam
I see to the list and to me. When I approve posts, I do see a bit of spam
both to the list and to me on the rebound, but not much compared to what I
see from other sources.

Of course, when you're a listowner, you just have to accept a large daily
helping of spam as part of your e-mail diet ....

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com
Aroid-L mailing list