Re: Fw: Epiphytes. And I may be nuts!

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Epiphytes. And I may be nuts!
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:51:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Steve,

Aloha.

According to TROPICOS,  the correct name is, Huperzia
phlegmaria(L.) Rothm. but this is for the acuminate
scaled plant in your photo.  You also have a Huperzia
nummularifolia ( I am less sure about the species
spelling) in your photos, which are the rounded
overlapping scaled, plant in your photos.

Now, you are always quick to state that something is
incorrect if it differs from TROPICOS.  TROPICOS is
only as current as the data input.  Then  there are
the professional differences of opinion among
botanists.  From what I have read of the later
pteridologists, many of them follow the revision of
Lycopodiaceae of Ollgaard, 1987.  In that treatment,
the genus, Lycopodium has a horizontal rhizome.  In
the genus, Huperzia, this characteristic is absent and
the stems originate in clusters from a common
point...like both of your plants.  There are fertile
characters to key out, but, this one character is
diagnostic...if you accept Ollgaard's revision.  Like
I always say, taxonomy and botany are processes.
Authors express their opinion and peers review and
accept or reject their findings.

Aloha,

Leland
--- ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>