Re: Amorphophallus ebay

I've seen plants that I can buy at my local markets for $2 or $3 listed on Ebay as rare and go for ridiculous amounts of money.  Plants sell on Ebay that can be bought in local nurseries for quarter of the cost - the fact that plants are listed as rare doesn't necessarily make it so, but there is one born every minute, and it is these people that the (not so) 'rare' listings are aimed at.

For instance, A. bulbifer can be bought in Bunnings for an 8inch pot containing 3 bulbs for around $10, and given that Bunnings plants are rarely bargains (though occasionally they are to be gotten), buying one listed  on Ebay for $50, sight-unseen is simply lack of research.  A Google search will very quickly reveal that they are readily available by mail order for $8.90.

Well, I have to open my big mouth and defend the listings of Amorphophallus as rare.

While Amorphophallus may be common to us Aroidphiles, they aren't common to the average home gardener.  If they were, Plant Delights wouldn't be getting the prices they ask (no offence, Tony), and we wouldn't be getting the "how do I grow" and "what do I do with" questions that we get here on Aroid-L.  Probably wouldn't have much of a IAS, either, if they were all common as weeds.

Aroid-L mailing list