Re: Use of stored/frozen pollen.

  • Subject: Re: Use of stored/frozen pollen.
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 11:27:45 +0000

> From: bill.weaver@hp.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:25:48 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] A. titanum at UC Berkeley's Botanical Garden

Dear Bill (and all involved in the production of fruit in this fantastic accomplishment/event!),

I don`t know why this most important note on aroid reproduction seemed to have ''slipped through the cracks'', but I put it aside to talk about it on week ends when I have more time.
There is a paper published on the freezing and refrigeration of mainly Amorphophallus sps. pollen, and the times that it remained viable when thawed and then used--for the life of me I can`t locate it at this moment.
This report of A. titanum pollen from Bill`s baby ''Trudy'' which had been kept frozen at -80 deg. F for that length of time, and which was sucessfully thawed and then used to produce that magnificent infructesence at UC Berkeley certainly would be good material for a short note in Aroideana!   Think about it, Bill!
Aroid folks like Bonaventura might get info. from an article like that.

Julius