Re: Philodendron sagittifolium at female anthesis!

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron sagittifolium at female anthesis!
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 17:38:01 +0000

> From: Steve@ExoticRainforest.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 22:00:00 -0500
> Subject: [Aroid-l] Philodendron sagittifolium at female anthesis!
> 9:30PM Saturday night. Last ones tonight unless I wake up in the middle of the night!

Dear Steve and aroid friends,

The blooming/anthesis cycle of this species lasts 2 days.  The lower portion (the tube) of the spathe never opens in this species, probably in the entire genus.
I don`t believe that this spathe could trap the Scrab beetle pollinators even if it wanted to, as they are strong animals.   I once collected about a dozen of them from a bloom in the jungle of E. Ecuador, and was unable to ''hold on'' to them for long as they would burrow (painfully, I may add!) between my fingers and out of my tightly closed fist.
You could take notes and observe if the constriction around the spadix opens, then closes and then opens again when the next bloom goes through its cycle, measurements taken at the ''waist'' and visual observations would tell you if this is happening.
Read pg. 59 of Deni`s book, she details a lot about this event there.
I don`t believe the beetles need to be ''trapped'' by this closing, they could and would escape at any time IF they wanted to, but why would they??   Warmth, food (I forgot to detail that they will eat the sterile flowers as a snack) and lots of parterners and sex in a secure ''room'' are being provided, so why would even want to leave?? Perhaps the closing of the spathe at the constriction may retain the heat in the lower portion of the spathe (the tube) for the beetles.  When the warmth stops at the end of the cycle, and the food is used up, they just crawl out, picking up pollen on their now resin-covered legs and bodies, and fly off to the next available and ''ready'' bloom.
By the way, I believe that some stingless bees collect this resin and use it in the construction of their combs/cells, and in waterproofing of their nests.   Native Indians in South America collect it from their nests and use it to make their blow-guns both air and watertight.

Good Growing,

> Does anyone see what I see happening to the color red? It appears to be lightening. The rotation continues. The mint smell to the pheromone is stronger while the musk is weaker. No female flowers ever observed. My guess is if beetles were present they would be taking up residence inside for the night. Free warm hotel if you will. I don't know if i'll see female anteses or pollination. The spathe is closing.
> Does anyone know if this is a species that closes the tube to capture the beetles and force them to coplulate and pollinate inside the tube?  I recently read of that happening.  Marc?  Tom?  Julius?
> Steve Lucas
> www.ExoticRainforest.com
Aroid-L mailing list