more physics on roots

  • Subject: more physics on roots
  • From: "Jan D. Bastmeijer" <crypts@bart.nl>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 01:21:28 +0200

The discussion of glue on roots does remember me a special effect of
condensation I ever saw in my greenhouse. An ordinary, very weedy Syngonium
creeped over the plastic tent over my Cryptocoryne plants. In the tent the
RH is near 100%, outside the tent ca 70 - 80%. Temperature inside and
outside the tent is equal. Inside the tent there were a lot of water drops
on the plastic just under the glued climbing roots (see also the tension
folds in the plastic). So the roots are colder, very probably caused by
evaporation from the roots. Something I did not expect at least: wy should
climbing roots evaporate so much?

Jan Bastmeijer

the crypts pages   http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/Cryptocoryne/index.html
the lagenandra pages http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/Lagenandra/index.html