Amorphophallus titanum leaf height inquiry

  • Subject: Amorphophallus titanum leaf height inquiry
  • From: "Brian O'Brien" <bobrien@gustavus.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:59:03 -0500

Hi All,
   Our largest Titan appears to have reached maximum leaf height for its current growth cycle.  It's about 12 feet high, just below the greenhouse roof level.  My question for other growers of this plant is:  does the plant somehow detect the presence of a barrier, and stop vertical growth, or will it, the next time that it produces a leaf, try to push the leaf through the greenhouse roof?  We were concerned about the latter possibility this time, and it seems oddly coincidental that the leaf stopped growing vertically just at the point when we hoped that it would do so.
   Here's a link for the latest update, including some photos of the leaf scaled to humans:  http://arboretum.blog.gustavus.edu/2008/06/19/gigantic-leaf-garners-gawkers/

Brian A. O'Brien, Department of Chemistry, Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue, Saint Peter, Minnesota  56082  U.S.A.
e-mail bobrien@gustavus.edu or bobrien@gac.edu
tel. (507)933-7310     fax (507)933-7041   http://www.gustavus.edu/~bobrien

Hope and the future for me are not in lawns and cultivated fields,
not in towns and cities, but in the impervious and quaking swamps.

Henry David Thoreau

Aroid-L mailing list