Re: I.D.`ing Monstera photos.

  • Subject: Re: I.D.`ing Monstera photos.
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:28:57 -0700 (PDT)

Dear George and all listening,

I agree with Julius that Monstera is a very difficult genus to identify from sterile material...from photographs, without scale...metric or inches, or locality data, etc. Monstera can be confused for other genera in the sterile vegetative state...so conservative opinions should prevail.

I am very glad that this discussion is taking place. As a collective mind, perhaps we can learn something more about the little known species or variations in this genus and the Asian counterparts, ie. Raphidophora, Amydrium, etc.  I encourage additional photographs of plants... especially if details of diagnostic characteristics are shown.