Re: Monstera question..

  • Subject: Re: Monstera question..
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Helmut,

It is always good to maintain discussions about plants...more information is better than no exchange.  I am very glad that Monstera and Schismatoglottis are getting some attention, because both genera have little known species that are extremely attractive and deserving of cultivation.  Monstera is a difficult genus taxonomically...as are many of the genera that have juvenile forms and mature forms.  Some Monstera take years to attain their mature morphologies...then their inflorescences should be examined and compared to the published descriptions....if they are readily available.

Please send your Monstera photos so the forum can discuss them.  I am really interested to see your Monstera tenuis.  I wish all on the forum could see Monstera punctulata in person...it is an awesome plant with very large dark green with a glaucous tint leaves, with many fenestrations, and much longer than broad blades.  These leaves can be longer than 5 feet. This species has been impossible for me to root and I have tried.  Perhaps MOBOT has this and I heard they may have it in San Francisco...but that was before the culling at the conservatory.  The only caveat I can give is...do not count your chickens and do not damage the mother plants....until more are spread around.

Good to hear from another Monstera enthusiast...we will talk soon.