Re: Anthurium scherzerianum x andreanum?

  • Subject: Re: Anthurium scherzerianum x andreanum?
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 20:53:36 +0000

Dear Phil,

You may want to check Steve Lucas' web site, he has EXTENSIVE information on Anthurium pollination.
I do not believe that these two species you mention can or will hybridize, they are only distantly related (see Deni Bown`s wonderful book "Aroida, Plants of the Arum Family", pg. 207.
In your other note you ask if you can self pollinate A. scherzerianum.  Only if you have two blooms at different stages of development, as the cycle is as follows---the stigmas/female flowers become receptive after the spathe opens.  You`ll see tiny drops of moisture at the tip of each stigma indicating that the spadix is at female anthesis/receptive.  This is the stage at which you can apply pollen collected from ANOTHER, older bloom to these receptive stigmas.  After a few days/one day, these will dry up, and later on the spadix will start producing pollen along its length maybe starting from the top, working its way down to the bottom over several days, or the other way around depending on grouping/species.  This is the male anthesis.  If the female flowers were not fertilized before the male anthesis, the whole bloom will now abort.   In certain species of aroidd, viable seeds may be produced WITHOUT irect pollination, these will be clones of the mother-plant so keep your fingers crossed.
Good luck.  Check out Steve Lucas' site.