Re: Arisaema id?

  • Subject: Re: Arisaema id?
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:08:16 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks, Wilbert, Pete, Alan, Marek, Edna, Guy, and anyone I've missed who
contributed opinions.

I had tentatively, with web searching and a lot of reading in Guy's book,
concluded A. fimbriatum; I did have a little information I didn't give the
rest of you, firstly that the provenance is Thailand (or so I was told,
and I have no reason to think otherwise).

But I acquired these as one of those last-day-of-show deals, where I was
looking at one thing and was offered, as an inducement to close the deal,
a little box full of small unidentified tubers, obviously things that
didn't sell because they were so small. It looked to me like there were
several species in the box, so I took it - I don't mind growing on small
stuff, or a mystery plant or two.

There were at least two small Amorphophallus which have not yet flowered,
and lots of this Arisaema, or at least the leaves are consistent - only a
few have flowered at this point, and while there's some variation all are
similar to the photos I sent.

I've assumed it wasn't hardy, so all plants have been kept in the
greenhouse. They did endure a few days (about 72 contiguous hours) of 0 C
temperatures in late January, when a catastrophic ice storm took out power
in NW Arkansas, apparently without damage. They are deciduous, and none
has so far produced more than one trifoliate leaf, and they tolerate a
fairly wide range of lighting. The one in the picture gets several hours
up at 3000 fc or so, others at most half that intensity, and they all
look about the same.

I don't recall the small ones looking rhizomatous, but then they were very
small - mostly 1 cm or less when I got them - and I haven't looked since I
potted them up. I'll knock one of the big ones out of its pot and have a
look.

Steve

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Alan Galloway wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Your Arisaema plants are:
> Arisaema fimbriatum var. bakerianum, which I think is one of the most
> beautiful species in the whole genera!
>
> Alan

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com