Re: Pinellia pedatisecta Rec. Nov. 4, 2005 as Ty. kumingense T-106

  • Subject: Re: Pinellia pedatisecta Rec. Nov. 4, 2005 as Ty. kumingense T-106
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:55:16 +0200

Dear Alan,

So probably all two (!) other photos found by google on the web as T. kunmingense (except my plant) are also incorrectly identified.
and my plant was identical, the spathe external side was brown,
while in the IAS page photos of T. horsfieldii inflorescences vary from green through yellow to olive, no brown form shown,
but the spadix looks the same as mine.

I see there must be a big mess in the small-tubered aroids sold on auctions and in "rarity" webshops.
First I wanted to write to you about a Pinellia bought on an auction as "Typhonium alpinum".
Today the first inflorescence opened, I took some photos and I noticed this is the same taxon as your photos of Pinellia ternata 'lanceolate leaf form'. I attach photos of my plant taken today.

I don't doubt this is P. ternata, but for many years I've had a green spathed form with broad leaflets. I wonder how two so different forms of the same species could evolute, don't you think it is a subspecies, a variety or even a cultivar?

Marek