Re: Pinellia pedatisecta Rec. Nov. 4, 2005 as Ty. kumingense T-106

  • Subject: Re: Pinellia pedatisecta Rec. Nov. 4, 2005 as Ty. kumingense T-106
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 19:56:49 -0400

Marek,

The photos on the 2 links in your email are definitely Ty. horsfieldii.

Ty. horsfieldii is a very variatable species.  The clone/form in the photos of the
2 links you sent are a very pretty clone having reddish petioles, exterior spathes being
brownish, and the leaflets edged in red.  This clone was sold a few years ago by
ChenYi as Ty. kunmingense, hense pictures on the web being improperly labeled.

Feel free to see pics of several clones I have in my collection:

As for the pics that were attached to your email, they are Pinellia ternata.  This species
of Pinellia also shows some variability, with the interior spathes being green or purplish.  And
the leaflets can range from short and wide to narrow and long.  As for auctions and rarity
shops selling P. tenata as various forms of Typhonium......again these are coming from
ChenYi in China.  She sells several Typhonium species, but they turn out to be slightly
different clones of P. ternata.

alan