Does anyone grow the real Anthurium hookeri?

  • Subject: Does anyone grow the real Anthurium hookeri?
  • From: ExoticRainforest <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:01:59 -0500

That is my understanding as well John.  According to Tom's list is is found in the lower eastern Caribbean islands including Dominica, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Montserrat, Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Trinidad.  It is also been observed in northern Venezuela and through the Guiana Shield.  Interesting that you no longer find it on your island.

 When I worked as a photographer I visited St. Lucia, St. Vincent, and Trinidad regularly but haven't been back in 10 years.  I now have a source of some seeds and would really like to help make this unique species more available to IAS members.

As Denis wrote, it is amazing how many landscape folks want the common name "hookeri" but don't care about the true species which personally I find to be more beautiful.