Amorphophallus coaetaneus

  • Subject: Amorphophallus coaetaneus
  • From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 09:48:59 -0500

Something you may find interesting....
Several years ago I bought an "unidentified Arisaema" from Chen Yi that turned out to be Amorphophallus coaetaneus.  Somehow I managed to stop the rot and save one of the 2 tubers.  I hauled it in and out of a friend's greenhouse until last summer when I decided to plant it (now 2 plants) in the garden and let nature take its course.  The first frost did some damage to the foliage and after it died back to the ground I covered them in oak leaves.  Then we endured the coldest, wettest winter in recent memory with several nights in a row droppong into the 20's.  I was sure they had rotted.   Well, the first emerged with a flower, the first I've ever seen.  But then nothing.  Almost 2 months later I have leaves on both plants and everything seems fine.  Hopefully, this coming winter will be back to normal and they can thrive without any extra care.
Is anyone else growing this one outside?
Russell in Mobile, Alabama  zn 8b
Aroid-L mailing list