Re: is it an Anubias?

  • Subject: Re: is it an Anubias?
  • From: Ferenc Lengyel <feri.lengyel@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:34:25 +0200

Thank you Peter!
I am very sad to hear, that this compact growth is the result of hormonal treatments and tissue culture. I am desperately seeking tropical aroids in Europe which are natural species (not cultivars or man-made hybrids), but here in Hungary I can hardly get any. I know that tissue cultures can be established from species plants as well as cultivars, but I think that most of the plants produced this way are clones of selected cultivars or hybrids.
I decided to buy aquatic aroids as plants from the genera Cryptocoryne and Anubias are available here for aquarists, and I hoped that some of them are species plants. I bought the plant from a local (Hungarian) aquatic plant nursery (they write on their website that the parents of the Anubias plants they offer are from West African import, so I thought, they are not cultivars). But now it dosn't seem to be the case.
I bought nine "Anubias" plants from them (this was one of them). The other eight are really Anubias plants, but not the ones described by the seller. I think that the eight plants belong to not more than 4 species and varieties. The seller tried to send nine different looking plants, but definitely had no idea about their proper identity. It would not be a problem at all, if the plants were not cultivars. I will transplant all the plants, place them in my paludarium, and try to identify them after the hormones clear from them, they grow to their real form and develop normal inflorescences.
Anyway, I would be very happy to have a Schismatoglottis, if it was a pure species.

Ferenc