The Resilience of Nature

Last fall hurricane Fran devastated much of Raleigh, NC us included. In
early spring, the stump removal crews arrived to grind up the huge stumps
from giant fallen Oak trees. In the process, they ground up the
Sauromatum guttatum that I got from Alan Galloway. Even the plant marker
was splintered and shattered. I simply gave it up for lost.

To my great surprise, there in the stump grindings is a colony of small
Sauromatums looking happy as a clam. Nature is unbelievable. The plants I
coddle and tend so carefully often bite the dust. This poor abused plant
just won't die.